Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Effective and timely support is provided to the formulation of a clear and coherent protection and solutions-oriented strategy, which incorporates a thorough age, gender and diversity analysis and reflects the Organization’s global, regional and country level priorities.
- AGD sensitive analysis of community risks and capacities provides the essential basis for all of UNHCR’s work.
- The participation of persons of concern is assured through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community-based approaches, which inform protection and assistance programming and ensure that UNHCR meets its commitments to accountability to persons of concern.
- National protection capacities are improved through direct engagement, research and advocacy with all relevant external interlocutors.
- Protection incidents and needs are immediately identified and addressed through direct intervention, advocacy and public exposure
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Be fully informed about community structures and the protection and security situation of the population of concern and develop strong links with a cross-section of members of refugee/IDP/stateless communities, using an AGD approach.
- Through relationships with persons of concern and network of partners stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment and provide advice to senior and address protection and assistance gaps management. Ensure that the perspectives, capacities, needs and resources of the persons of concerns are reflected in the protection strategy, planning processes and operations plan addressing the specific protection needs of women and men, children, youth and older persons, persons with disabilities, and marginalized groups.
- Ensure through direct action and advocacy with more senior protection staff that the necessary resources are allocated to enable community work to identify and address protection and assistance gaps.
- Support a consultative process with government counterparts at local levels, partners and persons of concern to develop and implement integrated strategies that address the key protection priorities, including, for example, child protection, education and SGBV, and solutions approaches.
- Provide technical guidance and support to UNHCR and partners and implement and oversee Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) on all community-based protection related issues.
- Support the design, implementation and evaluation of protection centred and solutions oriented programming with implementing and operational partners guaranteeing that community-owned activities are integrated.
- Support communities in establishing representation and coordination structures
- Promote confidence building and conflict resolution among populations of concern, authorities and host communities.
- Maintain protection presence through regular field missions and reports, making direct contact with persons of concern, host communities, local authorities and partners. In operations applying the humanitarian cluster system, contribute to ensuring that the response of the Protection Cluster is grounded in an AGD-compliant strategy which covers all assessed and prioritized protection needs of the affected populations.
- Support the Operation's work to ensure the protection strategy is fully integrated into the Country Operations Plan, the UN Development and Assistance Framework (UNDAF), the Humanitarian Country Team’s common humanitarian action plan where applicable.
- Contribute to the Protection team's information management component which: provide disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems; researches, collects and disseminates relevant protection information and good practices to enhance protection delivery and provide technical advice if necessary.
- Ensure participatory, community-based protection and AGD approaches are included in strategies and plans in the Country Operation.
- Ensure community understanding of UNHCR's commitment to deliver on accountability and quality assurance in its response.
- Support persons of concern to develop structures that enhance their participation and protection.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Contribute to the design of the community-based protection strategy, project submissions and the budget for endorsement by the Senior Protection Officer or the Representative.
- Chair protection meetings with partners.
- Intervene with authorities on community-based protection issues.
- Negotiate with local counterparts, partners and populations of concern.